25 Mar We’re Creating Guardianships, Helping You Put Your Life in Order
During this health crisis that seems to grow in magnitude every day, parents have new concerns about life planning. In this time of uncertainty, many parents are creating Guardianships in case something should happen to them.
Choosing a guardian may be one of the most difficult decisions you will make
You’re identifying someone who will take your place as a parent. Most parents look to another family member, but it should be that person most able to raise your children as you would yourself.
Things to be thinking about:
- Do your children know and like your guardian? If it will be a blended family; do they like your guardian’s children?
- Will your guardian be able to cope with inheriting a new family—emotionally and financially? Remember that this will be a family that is traumatized by the loss of their parents.
- Consider age, maturity and endurance. Your guardian needs to be young enough and have enough energy to raise children.
- If your guardian is currently a parent, reflect on how that person treats his/her children. If the children are grown, what is the relationship with the adult children? This is an excellent barometer.
- What values are especially important to you, and how closely aligned to these values is the new guardian? A hard worker, well-educated, generous, etc.
- Does the potential guardian want this job? If not, find someone else. This isn’t a fit.
California Document Preparers is open and assisting our clients throughout the health crisis.
- All of our team wear gloves and masks.
- We are taking social distancing seriously. Only one set of clients is allowed in the office at a time.
- We have significantly stepped up our cleaning and sanitation procedures. We wipe down surfaces after each appointment, including desks, pens and doorknobs. We have hand sanitizer positioned strategically throughout our offices.
- Working virtually. We know that many clients are concerned about leaving their homes. For these clients, we are working completely virtually. We’re using Zoom, our website and telephones, and it’s seamless. We can get you started on our website and we walk you through every procedure. We’re available by phone and email. We guide you through the entire process. For the final signing and notary, we can deliver this to your home.
During this health crisis, many are feeling an urgency to create a Living Trust
Our Trust package includes a Power of Attorney and an Advance Healthcare Directive. We guide you through the process and prepare the legal documents. At California Document Preparers, most of our services, we charge one flat fee. We’re helpful, compassionate and affordable. Schedule an appointment today at one of our three Bay Area offices in Dublin, Walnut Creek or Oakland.
We service the entire East Bay and North Bay areas
Berkeley, El Cerrito, Richmond, Pinole, Alameda, San Leandro, Castro Valley Newark, San Lorenzo, Concord, Alamo, Danville, Lafayette, Orinda, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Martinez, Pittsburg, Antioch, Brentwood, Oakley, Discovery Bay, Pleasanton, San Ramon, Livermore, Tracy and Fremont. Our clients also live in the Napa Valley, Benicia, Vallejo, Martinez, Fairfield.